According to writer Mark Twain, he is not only known for his works, but also for his excellent sense of humor. It is not difficult to quit smoking. He himself has quit dozens of times.
But seriously, according to the research of sociologists, only 5% of ex-smokers successfully completed the work they started for the first time. Others need 5-10-20 attempts.
But there are some effective ways to quit smoking permanently. If you show willpower, then everything will be fine.
Only a very opinionated person can say no to himself firmly and never stop smoking. If the craving for tobacco is very strong and your willpower is not enough, then you should seek the help of a psychotherapist and perform several treatments.
Is there a simple way to quit smoking?
Many people try to find the easiest way when considering how to quit smoking. Some people think about how to start smoking less, some people decide to quit smoking once and for all.
Unfortunately, only people who have not yet become addicted can easily quit. People who have smoked recently, smoke little by little. Otherwise, giving up this habit will lead to unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
The longer a person smokes in his life, the more difficult it is for him to quit, even in the most decisive mood. Of course, willpower and confidence in success will have a positive effect on the outcome, but they cannot eliminate the body’s negative reaction to the lack of substances that have become habitual.
So don't look for a fabulous simple method. You must try to find the most effective and comfortable method in your situation and move steadily towards your goals.
Potential negative consequences of suddenly quitting smoking
After deciding to quit smoking, many people are thinking about how to quit smoking without harming their health. Some people prefer the basic method and quit smoking suddenly. Others try to avoid physical and mental stress and quit smoking by reducing the number of cigarettes.
Each method has its positive and negative sides. In particular, a sudden cessation of smoking can lead to the appearance of withdrawal syndrome, which is manifested by the following symptoms:
- Dizziness, headache;
- Cough (first dry cough, then a lot of sputum), shortness of breath;
- Blood pressure spikes;
- Sleep disorders (night insomnia and daytime sleepiness);
- Digestive system diseases;
- Due to frequent colds, immunity is reduced;
- Irritability, nervousness;
- Lethargy, apathy, depression;
- unstable emotion;
- Decrease in performance, decreased concentration, and lethargy.
Signs can appear in any combination and have varying degrees of severity. All this depends on the smoker’s experience and the individual characteristics of the organism. The hardest part is in the first week. In addition, as the body becomes clean, the symptoms will subside.
How to overcome withdrawal symptoms and stop smoking?
Withdrawal syndrome varies from person to person. But even those with severe symptoms should know that this situation is temporary and will pass quickly, even if it seems that it will only get worse every day and never get better.
important!The main thing in the initial stage is to be patient and under no circumstances try to use another "final" cigarette to improve your condition.
There are many suggestions on how to spend the first few days after quitting smoking and stop smoking.
- One of the main conditions is the absence of predisposing factors. Anything reminiscent of bad habits should be removed. Cigarette packs, lighters, and ashtrays should disappear from sight.
- Motivation is very important. It is much easier to survive the temporary discomfort by understanding your reasons for quitting and the positive aspects of refusing to take drugs.
- Reading monographs or watching shows will help you assert that your decision is correct and it will be easier to spend the first days without cigarettes. Another way of working is to replace the smoking ritual with another. For example, you can peel and slice an apple and then eat it.
- Effectively help cope with sports withdrawal syndrome. Admittedly, this option will come in handy at a later stage, when the health condition improves slightly. Even after that, you should not load the body immediately. But classes in the swimming pool, walking, biking, roller skates or roller skates will be just right. This method not only helps to distract mentally, but also helps to clean the body quickly.
- According to experts, communicating with unfortunate comrades is very helpful. If someone discusses the problem with you or just complains, then it will be much easier to quit smoking.
- Nutrition during smoking cessation plays an important role. For example, tomatoes, eggplants and broccoli have negligible nicotine content. Eating these foods can help reduce cravings for cigarettes without harming your health.
Effective ways to quit smoking
It is hardly worth explaining to anyone why it is worth quitting. In addition, heavy smokers who have already felt the negative effects of nicotine on their health and body do not need these explanations.
There are many ways to effectively quit drug addiction. This is the use of special drugs to reduce the craving for nicotine and reduce the manifestations of withdrawal syndrome, as well as folk remedies and psychotherapeutic techniques.
In order to quit smoking by oneself, eliminate the craving for nicotine on the physical and psychological levels, and cope with the manifestations of withdrawal symptoms, drugs are helpful.
Three groups of drugs can be distinguished:
- Nicotine Replacement Agent. . . These are products that contain low levels of nicotine. They help to quit smoking gradually, that is, more painlessly. The choices are quite large. Candies, chewing gum, sprays, and patches can help you quit smoking more easily. Smoking lollipops are very popular. According to some studies, the use of nicotine-containing drugs can help halve the intensity of withdrawal symptoms.
- Nicotinic receptor agonist.The active substances of these drugs act on receptors that react with nicotine. As a result, the mechanism has changed, people no longer like smoking, and in some cases start to feel disgusted with it.
- Sedatives and antidepressants.The use of this group of drugs is mainly to relieve psychological discomfort, eliminate tension and irritability.
But experts do not recommend the transition to e-cigarettes. Many people think this is a simple way to quit smoking. Such gadgets are also unhealthy and addictive. Therefore, the only expected result is to replace one bad habit with another.
Many methods of quitting smoking have nothing to do with drugs. Various types of hypnosis are considered effective, and they form a strong negative attitude towards smoking.
Various coding methods for smoking are also popular, among which the Dovzhenko method is particularly prominent. Its essence is to exert a two-way psychotherapy effect on patients. This means that, on the one hand, smokers are taught a negative attitude towards smoking, on the other hand, they describe all the benefits of a life without cigarettes in their paintings.
Traditional medicine plays an important role in smoking cessation. There are many herbal recipes that can be used to reduce cravings for cigarettes and relieve withdrawal symptoms. There are many recipes. The most popular are the following:
- A decoction of unrefined oats;
- Tea made with oregano, mint, St. John's wort and yarrow;
- Decoction of chamomile, valerian, mint, fennel and coriander seed;
- Ginger and honey drinks;
- Soothing valerian and mint tea;
- Infusion of calamus root can help relieve the urge to smoke.
Here are some more tips to help you quit smoking:
- You need to choose a specific date, preferably at a time when important things and stressful situations are not planned (for example, exams, passing important projects, or moving to a new apartment);
- Not drinking coffee will greatly help quit smoking;
- Pay attention to the supply of healthy snacks (fresh vegetables and fruits, dried fruits, seeds, nuts);
- Communicate your intentions to as many people as possible. Experience shows that the attention and support of external observers will significantly reduce the possibility of failure;
- Install a special application on the phone;
- Find what you like and take up all your free time.
Another option is to argue with someone a decent amount. In this case, the desire to win will save you from falling. Some people get help through unconventional methods such as acupuncture.
When should you see the doctor?
It is much easier to quit smoking with the help of professionals. The anesthesiologist will advise on effective ways to quit smoking and help relieve withdrawal symptoms. Depending on the smoking treatment you choose, you can consult a therapist, neuropathologist or psychotherapist who has experience in treating nicotine addiction.
In addition, if the symptoms of rejection syndrome are very obvious or do not disappear after a long time, you should consult a doctor. In addition, if there is a concomitant disease, then you need to contact a doctor of the appropriate specialty, such as a cardiologist or a lung specialist.
Common mistakes and misunderstandings
Many people who consider how to quit smoking once and for all make many mistakes that make them doubt the success of their plan. These include the following:
- The intention is not to quit smoking, but to reduce smoking (in fact, no one can successfully control the rate of cigarette consumption);
- Indulge in the process of withdrawal, such as letting yourself smoke a cigarette to calm down (this will negate everything you have already achieved);
- Switch to lighter cigarettes (in most cases, it is only possible to increase the number of cigarettes smoked per day).
In addition, many people believe that they can overcome psychological dependence at any time, which means they can control the situation. This illusion causes a person to fall into the power of vices, endangering health, and quitting smoking becomes more and more unattainable.
Everyone has their own way of quitting smoking. The methods that have helped relatives or friends may not help your situation. But don't despair, if there is a desire and persistence, then there is a method for everyone.
And to speed up results and make quitting more comfortable, you can use a comprehensive approach that combines multiple options.